Kenya is known to be endowed with numerous resources with the potential for successful aquaculture
Fish Farming in Kenya Business Plan and Tips
Tuesday, February 13, 2018, 11:00 (GMT + 9)
Currently, fish farming in Kenya has turned out to be a key economic activity and a source of income for several Kenyan households. Consequently, you can come across numerous fish farms established for commercial purposes as you transverse the country. While some farmers practice this productive economic activity for its profits, others are doing it for family consumption. However, whether its fish farming for subsistence or commercial purposes, these fish farms have made a significant contribution to the nutritional demands and economy of the country.
The benefits of commercial fish farming in Kenya
Here are some benefits of commercial fish farming in Kenya.
- You will have an easy time since climate, and geographical conditions of Kenya are ideal for the economic activity.
- Kenya has an array of fish species hence you can choose on the most profitable ones.
- The country has a high demand for fish products, so your fish will fetch good market prices.
- You can opt to use some of the fish for consumption. So you can earn and at the same time meet your daily nutritional demands.
- The practice can be a good source of income considering the current high rate of unemployment experienced in Kenya.
- The practice is a right way of exploiting the numerous water resources in the country for economic purposes.
How to start a fish farm in Kenya – a business plan for beginners
If you’re considering joining the league of fish farmers in Kenya, it is crucial that you keep several important factors in mind. Here is a step by step guide to follow when delving into this lucrative economic activity.
- Selecting the ideal land - For commercial fish production, it will be suitable if you choose earthen ponds since they are the most suitable. Ensure that the ground you choose is relatively flat and free from pollution. Additionally, the land should have a reliable water source since the quality and quantity of the water you use impacts production.
- Construction and design of the fish pond - Ensure that the pond design you choose supports the species you intend to produce. The pond should favor the growth of your fish. An ideal pond design also ensures maximum production and good health of your fish.
- Selecting the appropriate fish species - Your choice of a particular species is dependent on the farm location, climate, and market. For instance, tilapia is known to have a massive demand across the country. You can also go for a species that is easy to maintain with your current location climate.
Fish farming in Kenya techniques and tips
It is advisable that you provide quality food to ensure faster growth and maximum production. For commercial farming, you can go for manufactured supplementary feeds. The Kenyan market has several fish feed varieties that are specific for the different types of fish species. While caring for your fish, ensure that you handle all your tasks precisely and timely. A raised fish pond - New developments in Fish Farming in Kenya It is also advisable that you change the water and examine the water and soul quality regularly. Additionally, be keen on how you protect your fish from predators and use the proper medicines to keep your fish healthy.
Fish farming in Kenya revenues and profitability
Fish farming is a lucrative business idea in Kenya. For instance, a farmer in Kirinyaga began the business with about Ksh. 20,000 and started making profits after just six months. His first big money from his fish farm was Ksh. 150,000. Currently, the farmer earns between Ksh. 60,000 and Ksh. 100,000 every month from the sale of fish and fingerlings. This is just but an example to confirm how lucrative fish farming in Kenya can be.
Successful fish farmers in Kenya – Their marketing tips
Fish has a ready and suitable market in the country since most Kenyans love the delicacy. Additionally, fish also has a high demand in the international market. It is advisable that you send your fish straight to the market as soon as possible due to their perishability. You can also categorize your harvest according to sizes so that you can maximize profits.
Author: Nixon Aswani / Source: Tuko.co.ke