Illex squid unloading from a jigger fishing vessel (Photo: courtesy of Revista Puerto)
Squid: the jigging fleet has already captured more than 116 thousand tons | Falkland's weekly catch
Saturday, May 21, 2022, 06:00 (GMT + 9)
These figures are updated as of May 11. The last technical report prepared by researchers from the INIDEP Cephalopod Project as of April 29 had recorded 102 thousand tons, up to week 17 of the harvest. Since April, in the northern management unit, the average catch was 28 tons.
Four months after the start of the squid harvest within the national fishing ground, the total catches of the mollusk until May 11 reached 128,487 tons, which represents an improvement of 7% compared to the same period last year.
Of this total, the 72 ships that make up the Argentine jigging fleet contributed 116,730 tons, which also represent positive numbers, precisely 12% more in relation to 2021, according to the statistical data provided by the National Directorate of Fisheries Coordination and Control last week.
INIDEP Technical Report 37 contains the summary of the activity of the fishing fleet on squid, but until April 29, week 17 of the harvest, with the focus on the management unit north of 44º S where the fleet began to fish since the beginning of last month with an average yield for the 57 jiggers of 28 tons per day.
The total catches of the jiggers since the beginning of the season, on January 7, reached 102,959 tons, an average of 23 tons per day. Of this total, 74% of the catches were made in the management unit south of 44º S between the months of January and March. The remaining 26%, 26,740 tons, was fished in the area north of 44º S, operating mainly on the outer platform between the parallels of 39º and 44º South.
The trawler fleet reported catches of 8,694 tons, of which 79% were caught in the Southern Management Unit. Until May 4, the statistics of the Undersecretary of Fisheries show that the fresh fish, deep-sea and coastal, declared 1,600 tons of squid, mostly from the Northern Management Unit, given the proximity of the fishing area with the port of Mar del Plata.
The researchers estimated for the area adjacent to our exclusive economic zone, south of the 44º South parallel, that up to 125 jiggers operated at the beginning of week 16, but the number decreased as the week progressed until reaching 30. The reverse process was observed in the area north of the 44º South parallel, where the week began with the presence of 64 boats and ended with 85. The fleet that fishes in Malvinas was estimated at 102 boats that same week.
To analyze the situation of the task throughout the harvest, the Cephalopod Project researchers processed the information of 222 tides that add up to 4,572 days of fishing. Specifically over the area north of 44º South, the researchers used data from 5 tides with observers on board, who took 64 samples that represented a total of 9,638 sampled specimens.
The results showed little difference with the samples of week 15. The captured squid had an average size of 22.8 centimeters and 246 grams in weight, mostly immature
, for which they can be identified as corresponding to the North Patagonian Buenos Aires stock.
Falkland Islands squid caches ---->
The first three weeks of fishing on this stock showed very good average yields of between 31 and 27 tons per day. The value of the fourth week (17th week of the harvest) drops to 21 tons per day, although it is not definitive because the total information was not received at the time of preparing the report.
With Mar del Plata as the closest port to the fishing area, landings at said maritime terminal increased considerably. Until May 11, it received 59,852 tons. Then comes Puerto Deseado, with 35,202 tons and further back Puerto Madryn with 31,513 tons. Between Bahía Blanca and Ingeniero White they add up to almost 1600 tons.
Fuente: Revista Puerto
Editado por Malena Nahum