Shrimp processing (Photo: courtesy of Revista Puerto)
Discontinued supply of shrimp at the Chubut plants
Friday, June 24, 2022, 06:50 (GMT + 9)
They do not attribute it to the leakage of raw material to Mar del Plata but to other factors such as bad weather and the fact that the national waters season that is just beginning is not yet stable and sustained. Provincial authorities meet this Wednesday with national officials after the controversy.
From the national government they deny that the Federal Fisheries Council has established where the fleet that fishes for shrimp in national waters should land their catches, after the public controversy raised with the Chubut authorities in the last two weeks.
Governor Mariano Arcioni, together with a representative delegation from the sector, will meet this Wednesday with the Undersecretary of Fisheries of the Nation, Carlos Liberman, where they will exchange positions on whether or not it was authorized to take it to Mar del Plata to process the shrimp that is fished in the national jurisdiction.
The Chubut delegation will bring a battery of proposals for analysis, among which incentives will be requested and old measures to promote exports from Patagonian ports that compensate for regional asymmetries with the province of Buenos Aires will be called for. Arcioni would also take these proposals to the president of the Chamber of Deputies, Sergio Massa, who is the one with whom he maintains the greatest political affinity in the ruling party.
Preserve social peace
From the Chubut Fisheries Chamber (CAPECh) they consider that it is time to maintain "prudence" and "bring tranquility to the sector to maintain social peace." Regarding the supply of raw material to the plants, they admit that it is “uneven”, which is due to different factors. "In general, work is just beginning, there have been many days of bad weather and few days of fishing, so it is necessary to wait to make a correct evaluation," said the manager of the chamber, Agustín de la Fuente.
“We are in favor of calmness and if there were misinterpretations, we must consider that there is social peace and work,” he reflected in relation to the escalation between Chubut officials and the national fishing authorities, which in the middle generated pickets with the temporary blockade of the departure of trucks from Puerto Madryn to Mar del Plata, which in turn fueled crossings with the Mar del Plata fresh produce sector.
De la Fuente interprets that beyond these issues “it is a good opportunity to discuss costs and look for alternatives to be more competitive. Without diminishing or confronting each other between jurisdictions. We have many internal things to improve in Chubut”, he suggested.
In recent public statements, the president of the Argentine Patagonian Chamber of Fisheries Industries (CAPIP), Ventura Lafuente Matos, has maintained that “the fish that is caught in national waters can leave the province because that is what the law says. We have a clear position and I think that more or less everyone has that concept, "he said.
However, he considered that "we have to get it to stay here based on incentives, that is, it is convenient for the fleet to unload here and leave the raw material in the Chubut plants," he stated as goals and strategies that should be supported from the public sector tending to guarantee raw material to the plants and with it the maintenance of jobs.
So far, most of the processing plants enrolled in that business chamber have raw material, although they also admit that the volume is subject to the few effective days of fishing that were recorded since the opening of the fishery, within the Ban Area. Standing of Juvenile Hake.
Vestuti offered "public apologies"
In this context, last week a group of shipowners signed a note in Mar del Plata announcing that they would not enter Chubut ports, while demanding the right to free movement of merchandise, due to blockades on the routes at the hands of the STIA, with a strong critical tone towards the provincial administration.
Among the signatories was the businessman from Chubut, Francisco Vestuti, who, through this medium, asked for "public apologies to the Government of the Province and especially to the workers in the sector", by distancing himself from the terms used in that business pronouncement.
“After so many years investing in Rawson, I want to clarify that I defend the activity and work of fishing in Chubut. It was an involuntary error to have signed that statement and I accept it," Vestuti acknowledged. "I was wrong and I apologize to the Secretary of Fisheries, the Provincial Representative in the CFP, the Government of Chubut and especially the workers in the sector," he concluded.
Source: Revista Puerto
Edited by Malena Nahum