After a couple of difficult seasons, Lorient’s 2021 langoustine season was a good one for the port, which is the premier landing point in France for live langoustine.
The 2019 season was only 579 tonnes, and 2020 saw 722 tonnes landed, but with just a few days to go to the end of the year, the port authority was confident that the 2021 total would break the 1000 tonne barrier.
Lorient’s other booming fishery last year was the arrival of octopus. In the first ten months of the year 174 tonnes were landed to the Lorient auction, compared to only 11 tonnes over the same period in 2020.
Author: Quentin bates / FiskerForum | Read the full articlehere
The year’s best-selling protein has racked up an extra £54.5m – and shifted 21.1 million more packs – thanks to a combination of strong supply (especially from Norway), lower prices and an increase in the number of supermarket promotions. Plus, it’s healthy, versatile and easy to cook to create an out of home-style centre, say suppliers.
The U.S. Bureau of Ocean Energy Management has so prioritized offshore wind energy development that it is bypassing real environmental review and failing to consider alternative sites that won’t harm the commercial fishing industry, according to a lawsuit brought by the Texas Public Policy Foundation.
Filed 15 December, 2021, in federal court in Washington, D.C. on behalf of six fishing businesses in the U.S. states of Rhode Island, Massachusetts, and New York
Author: National fisherman / SeafoodSource | Read the full articlehere
Faroes and Scotland salmon farmer Bakkafrost has added tinned fish to its product range by buying Danish canner Munkebo Seafood AS.
Bakkafrost, which owns the Scottish Salmon Company, today announced that it has acquired a 90% stake in Munkebo Seafood from owner Paul Lybech, with the canning company’s general manager, Michael Karlsen, buying the other 10%.
Source: fishfarmingexpert | Read the full articlehere
For the first time, species such as barnacles, razor clams and hedgehogs are regulated on a triannual basis.
The Xunta de Galicia has started the year by announcing the approval and entry into force of 156 specific resource management plans for the next three years - from 2022 to 2024 - that regulate the extraction of marine resources such as barnacle, solénids (razor, longueirón and longueirón viejo), echinoderms (sea urchin and holothurians like the hell of it), sieve, algae, anemones and polychaetes.
Source: Industrias Pesqueras | Read the full articlehere
The Port of Bilbao has been registered in the ECOPORTS port network, the main environmental initiative promoted among European ports, with 121 members and integrated into the European Organization of Maritime Ports (ESPO). With this recognition the Port Authority takes a new step towards turn this Port into a Green Port
To achieve this, the Port Authority has successfully completed the SDM (Self Diagnosis Method), a questionnaire on different issues related to the port.
Though insect protein startups are generating splashy headlines and bringing new players into the aquafeed industry, single-cell and microbial proteins might be a key feed component in the future.
“It’s a good protein source, but there’s nothing special about insect meals in my book,” Auburn University professor Allen Davis said during a recent panel discussion at Adisseo’s The new green is blue event.
Author: Megan Howell / The Fish Site | Read the full articlehere
The new route will be launched on 12 January 2022.
“Many players have tried with solutions for seafood both to the UK and the continent without success. Based on a number of inquiries – we can now offer an optimized solution adapted to the industry’s own needs, with several departures a week to as many as five European destinations,” said Sea-Cargo CEO, Ole Sævild, in a press release.
Source: SalmonBusiness | read the full article here
It was just prior to daybreak and the tension in the wheelhouse of the Fraserburgh-based Resolute was palpable. The trawler was 18 miles south-east of Sumburgh Head, Shetland, and for the last few hours, co-skippers Matty West and Ally West had been tracking shoals of mackerel with their electronic fish finding equipment.
Illuminated by the gentle glow from the large fish-scanning and navigational screens arranged at the front of wheelhouse, the faces of Matty and Ally were a picture of rapt concentration.
Author: Keith Broomfield / FishFocus | read the full articlehere